Beef is the culinary name for bovine meat. In prehistoric times, humans hunted aurochs and then domesticated them. Since then, many cattle breeds have been bred specifically for the quantity and quality of their meat. Today, beef is the third most consumed meat in the world, after poultry and pork. In 2018, the United States, China, and Brazil were the largest beef producers.
Beef can be prepared in different ways such as cuts are often used for steak. It can be cooked to varying degrees of doneness. When it comes to nutrients, fresh and lean beef is rich in various vitamins and minerals, especially iron and zinc. Therefore, moderate consumption of beef is recommended as a part of a healthy diet.
History of Beef
People have been eating since prehistoric times. Some of the oldest known cave paintings such as Lascaux have shown aurochs in the hunting scenes. People have domesticated cattle to gain access to milk, beef, and leather. Also, cattle have been domesticated at least twice throughout evolutionary history.
The first domestication occurred around 10,500 years ago with the Bos Taurus evolution. The second occurred around 7,000 years ago with Bos Indicus evolution in the Indus Valley. There is a possible third domestication event that happened 8,500 years ago with the third species of Bos Africanus appearing in Africa.
Cattle have been native to the Old World, with exception of bison hybrids that are native to the Americas, for example:
- Longhorn Zebu from the Indian Subcontinent
- Ankole-Watusi from Egypt
- Wagyu from Japan
Beef in the U.S.
In the United States, the growth in the beef business is largely due to the expansion in the Southwest. Following the acquisition of grasslands during the Mexican-American War of 1848, and then the expulsion of Plains Indians from the region and Midwest, the American cattle industry began. It started primarily with the domestication of wild cattle such as longhorn cattle. New York and Chicago were the first to benefit from the development in the meat markets and stockyards.
A ground, 85% lean meat with 15% fat and broiled 100 grams of beef contains nutrients as follows:
|Nutrient||Value||% Daily Value|
|Trans Fat Regulation||1.1g|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet but calorie needs or intake can vary from one person to another.
Best Beef Recipes
- Ground Beef – 1 1/2 Pounds
- Egg – 1
- Onion – 1, Chopped
- Milk – 1 Cup
- Bread Crumbs – 1 Cup, Dried
- Salt and Pepper – To Taste
- Brown Sugar – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard – 2 Tbsp, Prepared
- Ketchup – 1/3 Cup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine beef, milk, egg, onion, bread, or cracker crumbs in a large bowl. Use salt and pepper for seasoning and place in a lightly greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Form a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
- Now bake them at 350°F for 1 hour.
- All the vegetables go well with meatloaf, so feel free to be creative with your side dishes.
World’s Best Lasagna
Try the best meat and cheese combination with this recipe.
- Sweet Italian Sausage – 1 Pound
- Lean Ground Beef – 3/4 Pound
- Onion – 1/2 Cup, Minced
- Garlic – 2 Cloves, Crushed
- Tomatoes – 28-Ounce, Crushed
- Tomato Paste – 6-Ounce
- Canned Tomato Sauce – 6.5-Ounce
- Water – 1/2 Cup
- White Sugar – 2 Tbsp
- Basil Leaves – 1 1/2 Tsp, Dried
- Fennel Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Italian Seasoning – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 1 1/2 Tsp, Divided
- Black Pepper – 1/4 Tsp, Ground
- Parsley – 4 Tbsp, Chopped, Fresh
- Lasagna Noodles – 12
- Ricotta Cheese – 16 Ounces
- Egg – 1
- Mozzarella Cheese – 3/4 Pound, Sliced
- Parmesan Or Asiago Cheese – 3/4 Cup, Grated
- In a Dutch oven, cook the ground beef, sausage, garlic, and onion over medium heat until nicely browned. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Season the mixture with Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, basil, sugar, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Boil the salted water in a large pot. Cook the lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water. In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with 1/2 tsp of salt, parsley, and egg.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups meat sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Now spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Use a third of mozzarella cheese slices for topping. Pour 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella cheese and sprinkle the Parmesan or Asiago cheese. Repeat the layers and cover with foil and spray it with cooking spray so that the cheese does not stick.
- Bake it for 25 minutes in a preheated oven. Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Refrigerate it for 15 minutes before serving.
Best Steak Marinade in Existence
You might have tried Steak Alla Fiorentina, but try this best steak marinade recipe to make a juicy beef dinner.
- Soy Sauce – 1/3 Cup
- Olive Oil – 1/2 Cup
- Lemon Juice – 1/3 Cup
- Worcestershire Sauce – 1/4 Cup
- Garlic Powder – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Basil – 3 Tbsp, Dried
- Parsley Flakes – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- White Pepper – 1 Tsp, Ground
- Hot Pepper Sauce – 1/4 Tsp
- Garlic – 1 Tsp, Dried, Minced
- Place the lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, basil, and pepper in a blender. If desired, add garlic and hot sauce. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds until well blended.
- Pour the marinade over the beef and cover it.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours and cook it to your liking.
Other Best Beef Recipes
Braised Beef Al Sangiovese
Roast Veal with Lemon and Aniseed
Peposo alla Fornacina (Beef Stew)
Beef – World’s Third Most Consumed Meat
Beef, meat from mature cattle, is different from the veal, meat from the calves. The best you will get is from special early-maturing cattle breeds. High-quality beef is velvety, firm, and lean-to fine grain, well-marbled and bright red. The flavor and tenderness of the meat improve with aging. The common aging method is that a carcass is hung for about two weeks at 36°F. It promotes physical changes in the muscle tissue to improve the meat quality.
Beef can be cooked in various ways such as searing steaks, pan-frying, broiling, grilling, etc. Also, there are several ways of cooking ground beef for dinners or family gatherings. For such events, you can cook an easy meatloaf, the world’s best lasagna, and the best steak marinade. If this is not enough, then you can try Peposo Al Fornacina (Beef Stew), Braised Beef Al Sangiovese, Roast Veal with Lemon and Aniseed, and Bistecca Fiorentina.