A form of sweet food made from sugar, flour, and other ingredients and usually baked is known as cake. In the earliest forms of the cake, it was a modification of bread. Today, cakes encompass a wide range of preparations such as elaborate or simple. Cakes share characteristics with other desserts such as pies, flans, custards, pastries, meringues, etc.
When you hear spinach walnut cake, a green veggie cake comes to mind. But it is not true because spinach is only used for a savory taste. Other ingredients such as caramelized onion, vanilla frosting, and tart butternut are used to add goodness to the leafy green cake. Spinach walnut cake is one of the best cakes you can make for parties or family gatherings.
Best Spinach Walnut Cake Recipes
Easy Spinach Walnut Cake Recipe
Recommended wine pairing: Remole
Makes 16-20 small cakes*
An easy to serve finger food
2 lbs fresh spinach, stemmed, cooked, chopped, and squeezed dry (or 20 ounces thawed frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry)
1 large onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
4 large eggs, beaten
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp grated nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well. Butter muffin tins (single-use foil tins are not recommended). Fill each tin with 2/3-1/2 a cup of spinach mixture, depending on the size of your tins
Cook for 20 minutes until cakes are firm. Allow cakes to cool 5 minutes before loosening the edges and gently turning out onto a serving platter. Serve warm*.
*For a more elegant occasion serve them plated on top of our Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.
Caramelized Onion, Walnut, and Spinach Savory Cake
If you have tried caramelized onion tart, then this spinach savory cake with caramelized onion and walnut is worth trying.
For Onion Marmalade
- Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Sweet Onions – 4 Large, Thinly Slices, Vidalia or Walla Walla
- Balsamic Vinegar – 3 Tbsp
- Light Brown Sugar – 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Thyme – 1 Tsp, Fresh, Finely Chopped
- All-Purpose Flour – 1 1/2 Cups
- Baking Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Kosher Salt – 1 Tsp
- Aleppo Pepper – 1 Tsp
- Paprika – 1 Tsp
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 Pinch
- Eggs – 2 Large
- Low-Fat Greek Yogurt – 1/2 Cup
- Olive Oil – 5 Tbsp
- Spinach – 1 Cup, Coarsely Chopped
- Walnuts – 1/3 Cup, Chopped, Toasted
- To make onion marmalade, heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions to the oil and cook it for 30 minutes while stirring. Now reduce the heat to medium-low and add thyme, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook the mixture for 40 minutes until the onions are caramelized. Let it sit for a while till it reaches room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F to make the cake. Use parchment paper to line the loaf pan and let it hang over the edges of the pan. Now spray the parchment paper with a cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the baking powder, flour, Aleppo pepper, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, oil, and yogurt. Now mix it with the flour mixture and add 1/2 cup onion jam, spinach, and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to smooth the top. Bake it for 45 minutes. To check if it is fully baked, insert a knife and it should come out clean. Once ready, lift the cake from the pan with the parchment paper and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Use the remaining onion marmalade to serve the spinach walnut cake.
|Cholesterol Content||47 mg|
|Saturated Fat Content||2g|
|Sodium Content||407 mg|
Savory Spinach Cake with Walnuts, Raisins, and Feta
- Unsalted Butter – For Greasing
- All-Purpose Flour – 1 1/2 Cups
- Baking Powder – 1 Tsp
- Baking Soda – 1 Tsp
- Coarse Salt – 1/2 Tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 Tsp, Freshly Ground
- Eggs – 2, Large
- Plain Greek Yogurt – 1/2 Cup
- Olive Oil – 1/2 Cup
- Baby Spinach Leaves – 1 Cup, Cut into Ribbons
- Toasted Walnuts – 1/2 Cup, Chopped
- Raisins – 1/4 Cup
- Crumble Feta Cheese – 1/2 Cup
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan or baking dish with butter. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine baking powder, flour, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a large bowl and set it aside.
- Whisk the eggs, olive oil, and yogurt in a medium bowl. Tuscan olive oil can be used for this recipe.
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. While stirring, add spinach, raisins, walnuts, and feta cheese.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. To check if it is fully baked, insert a toothpick and it should come out clean.
- Once ready, serve it hot.
1 slice of spinach walnut cake made from this recipe contains nutrients as follows:
|Nutrient||Value||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin C||1.3 mg||1%|
|Vitamin A||49.8 µg||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate||25 mg||9%|
Vanilla Spinach Cake with Vanilla Frosting
If you have tried apple pastry with vanilla cream, then this spinach cake with vanilla frosting is worth trying.
- Raw Spinach – 3 Cups (150g)
- Eggs – 3 Large
- Vanilla Extract – 2 Tsp
- Sugar – 3/4 Cup (150g)
- Smooth Applesauce – 2/3 Cup (100g)
- Vegetable Oil – 1/2 Cup (100ml)
- Plain Flour – 2 Cups (250g)
- Baking Powder – 3 Tsp
- Salt – 1/2 Tsp
For Vanilla Frosting
- Unsalted Butter – 1/2 Stick (75g)
- Powdered Icing Sugar Sifted – 2 Cups (250g)
- Vanilla Extract – 1 Tsp
- Milk – 1 Tbsp
- Line 2 x 8-inch cake pans and use vegetable oil to grease them. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- For a few minutes, simmer or steam the spinach to soften it.
- Run spinach under the cold water to cool. Make sure to squeeze it properly to drain the excess moisture.
- Use a hand blender to puree the spinach well and set it aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, vanilla, oil, and sugar well. Also, beat the spinach puree well.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix the ingredients gently.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and bake it for 25 minutes. To check if it is fully baked, insert a toothpick and it should come out clean. Once ready, transfer it to the wire rack to cool
- For vanilla frosting, beat all the ingredients until fluffy. If it is too thick, you can add more milk to dilute the mixture or icing sugar if it is too diluted.
- Refrigerate until the mixture is ready to spread over the spinach cake. Also, sprinkles can be used to decorate the spinach cake with vanilla frosting.
|Vitamin A||1390 IU|
|Vitamin C||3.6 mg|
Tart Butternut, Spinach, and Walnuts
- Semi-Complete Flour – 250g
- Olive Oil – 100ml
- Warm Water – 100ml
- Yeast – 1 Tsp
- Salt – A Pinch
- Butternut Squash – 1 Small
- Baby Spinach – 100g
- Nuts – 1 Handful
- Salt And Pepper – For Taste
- Thick Cream – 300ml
- Emmental – 30g
- Eggs – 4
- Mix the flour with water, oil, yeast, and salt in a bowl. Once the mixture thickens, form a ball.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Roll out the dough to 4-5mm thickness and put it on a cake pan.
- Peel the squash and cut it in half. One half should be small cubes and the other half should be cut into slices.
- Boil the salted water and soak the squash slices and cubes for 5 minutes. Then drain them properly to remove the excess moisture.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and cream with salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil into a pan and brown the spinach leaves with salt and pepper for taste.
- Spread the squash cubes over the dough and put spinach on the top.
- Now pour the cream over the dough and sprinkle Emmental.
- Use squash slices and crushed walnuts for topping the cake.
- Bake it for 30 minutes until golden brown. To check if it is fully baked, insert a toothpick or knife in the center and they should come out clean.
Spinach Walnut Cakes – A Veggie Cake
Cakes have been used as a dessert for a long time. They come in different flavors and toppings. When it comes to making a spinach walnut cake, you need basic ingredients. Also, it requires less preparation time because of easy cooking and baking methods. You can make small spinach walnut cakes at home that can be served with roasted red pepper sauce.
Several other best recipes for spinach walnut cake can be used. For example, you can make a spinach cake with vanilla frosting, savory spinach cake with walnuts, raisins, and feta, spinach cake with tart butternut and walnuts or you can try spinach savory cake with caramelized onion walnuts. With varying nutrition facts, you can choose a recipe that best fits your family or guests.