Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread is a soft bread that bursts with fresh flavors. It is a savory combination of flavors mixed together in a soft and light wreath that looks as great as it tastes. It can be served for dinner parties, holidays, or a fancy weeknight dinner. But you can also make some as a snack at home if you like.
This is a fantastic white bread that is rich in flavor. It is like a seasoned bread roll that is packed with garlic, parmesan, and herbs such as thyme, basil, sage, and parsley. It features a unique wreath shape that surely catches the eye, and its flavors burst in the first bite. Every part of this bread is something that you’ll want to repeat over and over again. No wonder it is also a bestseller in Subway. It can also pair well with just about any sandwich combination or soup.
If you are not in Italy or you can’t go out to buy this bread on Subway, no worries as you can make it at home. Today, we are going to teach you how to make some Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread at home.
Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread Recipe
Italian Herbs and Cheese bread is very easy to make. It can take about an hour and 45 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to cook.
- 3 ½ to 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of lukewarm milk
- 0.25 oz or 2.25 teaspoons of fast-acting dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons of softened butter and additional butter for brushing the surface
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh sage
Procedure for Making the Bread Dough:
- Get a large bowl and which the yeast, warm milk, and honey together. After that, whisk in the eggs, too.
- Add a cup of flour to the mixture and mix it well. Then, add 2 tablespoons of softened butter. Add another cup of flour, salt, and whisk it until the flour is completely mixed. Add flour a bit at a time until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl when stirred.
- Knead the mixture for about 5 to 8 minutes until you form a smooth dough.
Procedure for the 1st Rise
- After kneading, place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover it and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour until it doubled in size. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Get the herbs and chop them finely. Mix the remaining butter, garlic, herbs, and parmesan in a small bowl.
Spreading Dough with Herbs
- Once the dough has doubled in size, put it on a lightly floured surface and knead it for up to 4 minutes. After that, roll it out to a large rectangle. Spread the herb butter on its top. If you do not want to use fresh herbs, you can also use 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning as an alternative.
- Roll the dough tightly, forming a log. Get a sharp knife and cut the dough log longwise, leaving the last inch of the dough intact on one end. After that, twist the two strands around themselves, forming a wreath. To seal, pinch the ends.
Procedure for the 2nd Rise and Baking
- After spreading the dough with herbs, transfer the wreath to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover it loosely with plastic or cling wrap and let it stand until it becomes soft and nearly doubled in size. This should be for around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Then, when the wreath has risen, bake it for 30 to 35 minutes until it turns golden brown. After that, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Brush the bread with butter, serve, and enjoy.
Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread is indeed one of the most delicious Italian bread that you must try. Making it at home is pretty easy too. And if you store it properly in an airtight container at room temperature, the bread that you made can last up to 5 days. But since it’s really flavorful, we doubt that it would even reach 5 days in storage. We hope this post helped you in knowing more about Italian Herbs and Cheese Bread and how to make one.